Monday, August 9, 2010

Snowy Mountain

Once you find this place, you may never want to leave. Snowy mountain has amazing features on most of the boulders, big huecos, the one on the cave boulder is the size of a room. The rock is much more forgiving than most of the stuff up in the Adirondacks too, much less sharp. The difficulty of the problems here is the only deterrent, if you're climbing atleast V4, then this place is just either going to frustrate, or bore you. There are only about three or four problems below V3, and the ones I tried were not that good. BUT, the hard stuff is amazing! This problem was one of my favorites, Never Been to Hueco V7:




It starts on the low huecos, moves up and out on some fun moves to a decent crimpy ledge with a solid heel cam, then gets super hard. The top out has eluded me so far, but is seems to be a huge swing move left to the apex of the roof, then up on slopey holds.
Some other really fun problems I got on were Coitus V6, a fun pinchy problem. Everything at the cave boulder was really fun. I made a new problem up the far left side of that boulder, I'll be snagging some photos of that next time I'm there. It was a fun problem, maybe v2 or 3, up the left arete and over a ledge. The last one I tried was IHOPP at the Pancake boulder. An insane problem, I think the book said V6 but it felt super hard. All the moves felt really fun though, definitely worth the time if your there.

3 comments:

  1. you guys ever check out 9 cornered lake? Really good bouldering, developed by some of the same guys that developed snowy. Also, a bunch of new cliffs have been unearthed around 9 cornered and some additional bouldering spots. check out drtopo.com for the 9 corner and Pinnacle pulloff climbing guides.

    Cheers

    Jut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man I'll check it out. I actually havn't gotten down there yet, I am stayin about a half an hour from snowy so I find myself there most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. got ya, yeah...maybe i will see you up there sometime. Haven't been up there in awhile, been trying to clean up a few projects that are more local (check out adkbouldering.blogspot.com) to see the most recent development) Enjoy the good fall weather!

    ReplyDelete