Saturday, August 21, 2010

New Problem at Tahawus

Yesterday was a good day for the Tahawus area I have been playing around in lately. At first I thought there wouldn't be much more than the one gigantic boulder I found, everything else seemed too mossy. But I found another fun problem just a few feet from the big one, it's another really hard one though. I cleaned it off and gave it several attempts, but it started to get late and it was feeling really tough. Everything I have been finding so far seems above v5 at least, and the rock is really sharp, but nonetheless I am having a blast and here is the new boulder.

It is a heel hooking traverse that starts on a good ledge, then gets incredibly hard as it goes left, then has a nice jug finish. It seems fun, I just hope next time i get it. But wait, there is still more good news, I found two more boulders nearby this one, and although I didn't get a good look, they seem to have great potential. Next time I head there I hope to add at least three new problems to the area. For now, it's time to head off to Gnarnia and try and get some FA's.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Could you give me some directions to these boulders? I'm looking to develop more rock.

    Also, how did you find them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hiking the Santanonis, whose trail head is just a few minutes from this place. When we were leaving I saw one the gigantic boulder way back up the woods, so I stopped back a few days later and found a bunch of stuff.
    The rock is super sharp, and has tons of tiny crystals, but overall its pretty fun, if you dont mind shredded tips.
    To get there head to 28N, if your coming from 87, get off at the Newcomb exit and that will bring you almost all of the way to it. Its just a few miles before Newcomb, so if your coming from 87 youll be driving for a bit. From 28N take a right at the sign for Tahawus, and then follow the signs for the Santanoni, panther and couchsarashaga mountain trail head. The is a small pull off on the top of a hill, maybe a half a mile or less before the trail head. walk down the hill and head into the woods on the left. Very close to the road is the warm up spot I found. Its a little pit of boulders thats hard to spot unless you get right up close. A little above that is the one in this post. And further to the right of that is the Huge 30' or 40' boulder. I was a little disappointed last time I went because I couldn't find too much more new stuff, but good luck to you if you do. Happy Bouldering!

    ReplyDelete