Monday, August 23, 2010

Gnarnia!

Two days ago I got to adventure down a bit to the Brant Lake area, and even though the new gnarnia area only has maybe 8 or so good boulders, those boulders are really good. The big one that the platform was built for looks especially good, I cant wait to try it once I can get some more people out there with me. I got to work on one of the other boulders, a clean tall beauty that has some amazing lines on it.
The arete in this top picture is a nice thin line with a tough first couple moves. It reminded me a lot of colorful corners down in Coopers, with the one tiny start hold that looks like a joke but actually works nice. After that I get a nice high step on a big ledge, bump my hand to another mystery hold, then up the the slighty bigger ones. It had some chalk on it, so I'm pretty sure someone else has done it, but it was a fun one for sure.

This photo shows a wicked fun slab line that is right next to the arete. It starts on that hanging fin while stemming off to the side. then goes up crimps that get worse and worse the higher you get. It looks like it finishes up the thin diagonal crack in the middle of the boulder. I havn't done it yet, the landing isn't that great, and the slab is scary at the top, so it's another one I am excited to try with some spotters. Not sure if anyone has done this one, there wasn't and chalk that I could see and I cleaned to the top out, but if anyone else knows then let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see this place getting some recognition! I developed most of Gnar, and the line you're talking about is Vanilla Slice - V6. It's a tough, thin, scary one, but the fall isn't bad.

    The arete is Stuff of Dreams - V4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice man, ya I really liked Gnarnia, especially both of those problems you mentioned. Stuff of Dreams was one of my favorite lines I did all summer.

    ReplyDelete